nsucurrent.com
nsucurrent.com August 18, 2017


Trump Deports First Protected DREAMer To Mexico, Ignoring Obama's DACA Protections

19 April 2017, 09:42 | Dan Bryan

'DREAMer' Protected Under Obama's DACA Encounters Border Agent — and Is Back in Mexico 3 Hours Later

'Dreamer' deported because he forgot ID, couldn't prove status

President Trump, however, has signed executive orders making practically all 11 million undocumented immigrants estimated to be living illegally in the United States at risk of immediate deportation, striking previous priorities under the Obama administration.

Montes was twice granted deportation protections under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program created by President Barack Obama and left intact by President Trump.

"They shouldn't be very anxious", he told ABC News in January.

But USA Today discovered through an examination of Trump's immigration policies that Montes, who is legally protected by DACA through 2018, had been deported to his native Mexico on February 17, while waiting for a ride in Calexico, California.

In response to a request for comment by Reuters, a CPB spokesman said in an emailed statement that Montes had been apprehended "after illegally entering the United States by climbing over the fence in downtown Calexico".

Montes had left his wallet in a friend's auto, so he couldn't produce his ID or proof of his DACA status and was told by agents he couldn't retrieve them.

"Some people told me that they were going to deport me; others said nothing would happen", Montes told USA Today.




Montes was taken to a Border Patrol station where, he alleges, he was made to sign documents and not allowed to see an immigration judge or attorney. His lawyers acknowledged in the lawsuit filed in the Southern District of California that he had a misdemeanor on his record and "minor traffic offenses", none of which would have disqualified him from DACA. According to USA Today, Montes climbed the border fence into the US and was questioned and sent back again to Mexico.

"Juan Manuel was funneled across the border without so much as a piece of paper to explain why or how", Nora Preciado, a staff attorney at the National Immigration Law Center, said in a statement. Montes was first approved for DACA in 2014 and successfully obtained a renewal in 2016. Within three hours he was escorted to the border and left in Mexicali, Mexico.

An estimated 1.4 million Dreamers have received DACA since the program's inception, according to the most recent data from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. They must reapply every two years to keep their legal status, something his attorneys said he has done. Unable to verify that he was covered by DACA, Montes was detained, questioned and asked to sign certain documents.

The statement also noted that Montes had a previous conviction for theft that resulted in probation, a fact the lawsuit admits.

Trump maintained the DACA program even though he promised to end it ― which King believes he should follow through on.

A young Seattle man was detained in March after the government said he admitted to gang ties, while an Argentinian woman was detained and later released after she spoke out about Trump's immigration policies at a news conference in Mississippi. Rather than continuing his education in the USA, where he was studying welding at community college, Montes now works at a gas station and tortilla mill, dreaming of the day he can come home.



Other News

Trending Now

Ex-NFL player driving truck that ran over, killed daughter
A former National Football League player has accidentally killed his three-year-old daughter at his home in Arizona, police say. Heap played the 2011 season and part of the 2012 season with the Cardinals before injury led to his retirement.

Do Trump's Mar-a-Lago trips cost $3 million?
Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told NBC that each day President Trump spends in Mar-a-Lago costs his department $60,000. He acknowledged that there's a question of 'whether it's necessary to travel to a particular place to do the work'.

Kylie Jenner Is Slaying the Coachella Game With Bright AF Highlighter Hair
A source close to Kylie Jenner though insists that the lip kit mogul is still with Tyga and that they are happy together . The rumors began on April 11, when Kylie and Travis , 24, were spotted at an event together, looking cozy.

Carmelo Anthony and La La Anthony Are Separated
New York Knicks President Phil Jackson said on April 14 that Carmelo "would be better off somewhere else". We have our ups and we have our downs, but we definitely work through them, and we're great right now'.

Hope, Healing at Vigils for San Bernardino School Shooting Victims
The family of Jonathan Martinez, the 8-year-old student killed in the shooting, did not wish to speak publicly, Marsden said. Husband-and-wife shooters Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik were later killed in a gunbattle with authorities.

4 bodies in NY park are apparent homicide victims
The site where the bodies were found Wednesday is near the federal courthouse where the killing suspects are being prosecuted. The bodies were found in a park bordered by Clayton Street and Lowell Avenue, ten minutes drive from the center of Brentwood.

Merkel joins IMF, World Bank, WTO in fight against protectionism
In more than half of emerging market and developing economies, labour shares have also declined since the early 1990s. The IMF said rising inequality had accompanied the shift in national income away from labour and towards capital.

New Google Earth Unveiled With 3D Maps And Interactive Tours
The new Google Earth is now available on the web via the Chrome browser, and it will roll out to Android devices this week. You can now quickly access Your Timeline from the place cards of locations or businesses you've previously visited.

Cavaliers to sign Dahntay Jones for playoffs
It's hard to imagine a 50-win season being more underwhelming, yet perhaps there is simply a recency bias going on. The Cavs have gone to overtime in three of their last six games, and they've lost two of those contests.

Assad calls chemical attack '100 percent' fabrication
To date, both Russian Federation and Syria have denied involvement in the attack. We have somebody that is not doing the right thing.